Friday, June 1, 2007

Sunset in a cup

A teacher conducted a creative writing weeklong camp for kids during the summer vacations. To the older students she gave one line of an Emily Dickinson poem and told them to write their own poem using that line as a base. The line was: "Bring me the sunset in a cup."

But just look what this 12 year old child Nabeela Shaikh came up with!

Bring me the sunset in a cup
The moonlight in a dish
To achieve the impossible
Is my only wish

A ray of dawn
A drop of dusk
My dream to soar
Will never rust

And when I sit by the river quiet
Wishing that I had more might
All at once I suddenly see
How big I am depends on me

And so I bring you
My well learnt advice
You can be however big you wish
Mighty as giants, tiny as mice

I've brought the sunset in a cup
And the moonlight in a dish
I've achieved the impossible
And fulfilled my only wish


“The sun illuminates only the eye of the man, but shines into the eye and the heart of the child”: Ralph Waldo Emerson

0 comments: