Monday, July 23, 2007

Man of the match

There was a young boy who used to come for regular practice, but always played in the reserves and never made it to his school soccer eleven.

While he was praciticing, his father used to sit at one end, waiting for him.

The real matches had started this time. But since last four days, surprisingly the boy didn't show up for practice at the quarter or semifinals.

But that deciding day of the final, the boy showed up all of sudden. Not just that, he went to the coach and pleaded, "Coach, you have always kept me in the reserves. But today, please let me play."

The coach said, "Son, I'm sorry, I can't let you. There are better players than you and besides, it is the finals. I cannot take a chance." The boy pleaded further, "Coach I promise I will not let you down. I beg of you, please, please let me play."

The coach had never seen the boy plead like this before. Something inside him touched his heart, "Ok son, go play. But remember, I am going against my better judgement and the reputation of the school is at stake. Don't let me down."

The game started and the boy played with amazing power. Every time he got the ball, he shot a goal. Needless to day, his team recorded a glorious win and he was declared 'player of the match'.

When the game finished, the coarch went up to him and said, "Son, how could I have faltered in my judgement? I have never seen you play like this before. How did you play so well?" The boy replied, "Coach, my father was watching me today."

The coach turned around and looked at the place where the boy's father used to sit. There was no one there.

He said, "Son, Your father used to sit there when you came for practice, but I don't see anyone there today."

The boy replied, "Sir, there is something I never told you. My father was blind. Just four days ago, he died. Today is the first day, he was watching me from the heavens above... and I wanted him to see, that I could do it."

This is a classic example of what the amazing power of motivation can achieve! Motivation is the one of the greatest driving forces for success in life.

0 comments: